Advanced directives allow you to clarify your wishes regarding finances and health care

You might assume that your family will know your wishes in the event that you become unable to make financial and medical decisions on your own, but this assumption and lack of advanced directives can turn out to be a mistake that results in confusion, conflict and heartache for family members.

To protect against this outcome and to ensure that your wishes are respected, the simplest thing to do is to create advanced directives. Here let’s go over a few kinds of advanced directives that you can create with the help of an elder law attorney.

To clarify your wishes regarding your health care, create a Health Care Proxy. This document names an agent whom you trust to make health-related decisions in the event that you are unable to decide on your own. The agent can make decisions regarding routine care, as well as end-of-life medical treatment.

Along similar lines, a Living Will is an advanced directive that clarifies the kinds of health care you want in the event that your condition becomes serious and there is no hope of recovery.

A Durable Power of Attorney is another kind of advanced directive that names someone whom you trust to handle financial and business matters on your behalf if you become incapacitated.

Another important advanced directive to know about is the New York State Burial Designation, which allows you to designate someone to handle burial and funeral arrangements.

Additional resources provided by the author

For more information, please contact estate planning attorney Regina Kiperman:
Phone: 917-261-4514
Or visit her at her new location:
80 Maiden Lane
Suite 304
New York, NY 10038

Visit Regina on Google+

This post is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this site you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the lawyer. The post should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. ATTORNEY ADVERTISING.

Scroll to Top