Unseal Apartment After Death

Unseal Apartment After Death

How Do I Unseal Apartment After Death In NYC After It Was Sealed by The Police?

There are a number of circumstances where you may have to unseal an apartment after death. Typically an apartment will have to be unsealed after the death of a family member or close friend.

The police will most often seal the apartment when a person is found alone in the apartment. Typically a person’s death is is reported by a neighbor or landlord. The reason that the apartment is sealed is to safeguard assets and evidence.

When you visit the apartment, you will see either police tape across the door or a small sticker on the side of the door indicating that the apartment has been sealed. The building manager will tell you have to get access from the police and the police will tell you to go to Surrogate’s court in order to unseal an apartment.

What are the Steps to Unseal an Apartment After Death?

  1. Go to the Miscellaneous Department in the county where your friend of family member has died. Obtain a Petition to Unseal the Residence and Examine Apartment. Counties may have their own specific forms. 
  2. Fill out the Petition, as well as a Proposed Order to unseal the apartment. You will also need to provide proof that you are either the next of kin, or that you have permission from the next of kin to conduct this search. For example, if your aunt died, you have to show that your aunt did not have children, parents, or siblings who are living and who want to conduct this search. If your mother died, you have to obtain an authorization from your brother that you can conduct this search.
  3. After you have gathered all of the forms, go to Court, file the forms, and pay the $20 fee. The Surrogate’s Court will review the forms and, if all in good order, will usually issue the Order within a few hours.
  4. Once the Order is issued, call the Police precinct holding the keys to the apartment. The Police will either tell you to meet them at the apartment or to come to the precinct to be escorted to the Apartment.
  5. When you open the Apartment, you can search for a Will, Burial Deed, Insurance, or other significant information immediately related to burying the Decedent or Probating his Will. After you have conducted you search, the Police will then seal the residence again and tell you to come back with Letters Testamentary or Letters of Administration.

What if I find a Will When I Unseal Apartment After Death?

If you find the Will, you should then proceed to Probate the Will. You can watch this video for a quick probate guide:

What if I Don’t find a Will?

If you do not find a Will, then you can commence one of several proceedings. You can either do a Proceeding to Open the Safe Deposit Box or a Petition for Administration. If you do not believe that the Decedent left a Will, then you may not want to bother with the petition to unseal. You may just want to file for Estate Administration. You can watch this video for a quick administration guide:

We are fully operational and can help you unseal the apartment, open a safe deposit box, petition for probate or administration, and more. Please contact us to discuss your needs

Additional resources provided by the author

For more information, please contact NYC Probate Litigation, Guardianship, NYC Probate and Estate Planning attorney Regina Kiperman:

Phone: 917-261-4514
Fax: 929-556-2089
Email: rkiperman@rklawny.com

Or visit her at:
40 Wall Street
Suite 2508
New York, NY 10005

Visit Regina on LinkedIn
Visit Regina on Facebook

This page is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this site you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the lawyer. The post should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. ATTORNEY ADVERTISING.

Scroll to Top